Re: sXBL: Fragment IDs and imports

Bjoern,

Yes, you are correct. With sXBL, the specfications only talk about SVG
documents (image/svg+xml). If you put your sXBL definitions in an external
file, that external file must an SVG document. This was one of the key
simplifications with sXBL. The SVG working group did not want to open up
the issue of how SVG needs to deal with resources from a non-SVG file. (So
far, all SVG resources stored in external files must be stored in SVG
documents. This is true for gradients, patterns, filters, symbols and fonts.)

For XBL 2.0, of course this constraint that all documents must be SVG
documents is likely to be removed. We haven't addressed this issue yet in
the task force formally, but early discussion for XBL 2.0 there has been
talk about allowing developers to store their XBL bindings in an external
file which is either a generic XML file (e.g., mybindings.xml) or a new XBL
filetype (e.g., mybindings.xbl) and not force developers to store their
bindings in an SVG (or XHTML) document. Mozilla XBL allows mybindings.xbl,
I believe.

Jon