Re: CSS WG comments on SVG 1.2

At 09:57 PM 12/7/2004 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

> > > There's nothing HTML-specific about CSS propertes.
> >
> > To be more precise, there is something box-model specific.
> >
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2004Dec/0001.html
>
>True, we could prefix the background-related properties with 'background',
>the font-related properties with 'font', the border-related properties
>with 'border', the list-related properties with 'list'... Oh wait... ;-)

I am not talking about functional grouping. I am talking about all
CSS-box-model-specific properties that don't make sense outside of CSS box
model. Why aren't they prefixed with cssbox-? That would be the similar
prefixing scheme that you want to impose on SVG. For functional-level
grouping we already use prefixes, such as stroke and stroke-... properties
or overlay and overlay-host.

>However, my concern is that SVG 1.2's proposed names are actually harming
>this property separation, in fact. For example, it introduces the
>'background-fill' property despite that property having nothing to do with
>any of the other 'background-*' properties.

CSS box model background properties to be precise; just like CSS box model
background properties are more or less useless for SVG renderer. These
things are renderer-specific. But in that particular case I agree that it
is a good idea to rename it to avoid confusion.

>  It introduces one-word
>properties that only apply to specific models (one-word properties in CSS
>usually apply to multiple models).

What?! Just from the top of my head:

margin, border, padding, top, bottom, left, right, width, height, widows

Actually, most CSS2.1 single-word properties (as well as most CSS2.1
non-single-word properties) apply only to box model and some of them are
purely aural. There are simply no such conventions, I think you are making
them up on the spot.

Peter