Re: Multiple Pages in SVG 1.2 + Hyperlinking

Jon Phillips wrote:

>I'm trying to figure out how to implement Multiple Pages in Inkscape
>(www.inkscape.org), and wonder if there is a good way to allow for
>hyperlinking between pages, and thus to make pages individual documents
>that can be linked together by a master docuent using the current
>syntax,
>
><pageSet>
>      <page>
>        <!-- graphics for page 1 go here -->
>      </page>
>
>      <page orientation="90">
>        <!-- graphics for page 2 go here -->
>      </page>
>
>      <page>
>        <!-- graphics for page 3 go here -->
>      </page>
>   </pageSet>
>
>If the above <page>...</page> could be:
>
><page xlink:href="page3.svg" />
>
>or
>
><page xlink:href="fallCatalog.svg#page3" />
>
>That would be brilliant for implementation, as SVG files with multiple
>pages would become huge. Also, by having multiple pages as multiple
>files, this could allow for easier reusability between
>documents/presentations/animations/slide shows.
>
>Comments or feedback?
>
>Jon

Jon,

Why can't you just do this

<page>
    <use xlink:href="somefile.svg#page3/>
</page>
<page>
    <use xlink:href="someotherfile.svg#page4/>
</page>

Where in somefile.svg/someotherfile.svg there is something like:

<g id = "page3">
</g>

or

<svg id ="page3">
</svg>

It seems to me that you suggestion is fairly redundant, or have I
misunderstood?

It's also intended that paginated documents, particularly large ones,
should have streamedContents (section 9.2 1.2 in the current
specification) set to "discard" to facilitate implementations destroying
data from the previous page after rendering. So the size of the document
won't be as much of an issue for the renderer, providing content
generators take heed of this suggestion.

Craig