Re: WG Input on <switch> implementation

On Saturday, August 7, 2004, 11:42:39 PM, Scooter wrote:

SM> Greetings!

SM>     I've submitted a patch to Mozilla to implement SVG <switch> and an
SM> issue has been raised that we would like some input on.  The current
SM> patch will iterate over all direct children of the <switch> element to
SM> determine which element evaluates to true.  This works correctly for all
SM> of the test cases we had.  The question that has arisen is what happens
SM> in the presence of anonymous children such as those bound by XBL?
SM> Should <switch>
SM> iterate over all children or should it ignore the anonymous children and
SM> only iterate over "real" (i.e. document) children?
SM>     We are awaiting input from the SVG working group before checking
SM> this patch in, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

This has been raised as an issue in the SVG WG. We will get back to you.

Remember its the direct children of switch that are evaluated, not al
ancestors, so the only way to get this situation is to bind to switch
itself.

My personal feeling is that the core DOM tree rather than the fully
flattened tree is the right one to use.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group