Re: World of flags in SVG

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, 8:27:56 PM, Christian wrote:

CS> Hi SVG people,
CS> We have been doing a SVG flag drive in the GNOME and Sodipodi community
CS> for the last few days. We now have around 130 flags in our collection,
CS> but more are still trickling inn. The flags are contributed under under
CS> the Creative Commons Public Domain dedication (www.creativecommons.org)
CS> so everyone are free to use them as they please.

This is a cool project.

Its also a nice counterbalance to the recent scare about ISO charging
for using two-letter country codes (they scrapped that idea, by the
way).

Is this project ready to be more widely announced?

CS> I just thought that you guys would be happy to know that there is now a
CS> rather large collection of high quality flags for free use available at:
CS> http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/index.php3?section=gallery/flags

For example, SVG clients that allow selection of the user prefered
language (as does Batik, for example) might make use of these flags as
one way to select the language.

CS> We will also be making a tarball/zipfile containing these flags for easy
CS> downloading.

CS> Our hope is that this can become a good resource for people writing
CS> schoolpapers, newspapers, websites and so on.

May I suggest an alphabetical index in addition to the existing
numerical one?

CS> Of course if people here want to contribute more flags that would
CS> be great.

(Checks to see that Scotland is there ... yep you are all set ;-)

A few more spot checks ...
http://flagspot.net/flags/ca-nu.html
is missing - yes there is work to do there.

CS> Details for doing so can be found here:
CS> http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1421&mode=&order=0

Some of the flags contain text. The guidelines don't offer specific
advice there; I think that they should encourage this. As an example,

http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/showsvg.php3?file=gallery/flags/south_korea.svg
http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/showsvg.php3?file=gallery/flags/iraq.svg

would be improved by making the text be text (using ligatures of
course for the two text items).

Congratulations to whoever drew
http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/showsvg.php3?file=gallery/flags/saudiarabia.svg
that is some complex letterwork.