Re: [SVG1.2] implementing XSLT

Tobias Reif wrote:
> On Tue 2003-11-25 Robin Berjon wrote:
>>Tobias Reif wrote:
>>>Obviously, and I didn't say it would. Existing XSLT libs would help
>>>some of the implementers with implementing XSLT [1], that's all I
>>>said.
>>
>>The idea is precisely that they wouldn't, because they don't take
>>constraints found in the SVG environment into account.
>
> Sorry for my lack of imagination, but I can not imagine that an
> implementer can not reuse a single line of code from existing
> XSLT/XPath libs (if available in the required programming language)
> while implementing XSLT and XPath features in SVG.

Well feel free to try it then :) Or at least try the thought experiment.
Look at how an XSLT processor works, at vaguely the things you need to
get it to work. Now imagine the same thing with incremental
transformation. Not even xsl:value-of remains the same. Your XPath
library has to change in non-negligible ways. Actually I'm trying to
think of a single XSLT construct that doesn't need to be very heavily
changed and can't find one. Sure, you might be able to reuse little bits
of code here and there, but honestly you'll probably spend more time
looking for them than you would reimplementing them.

If you have an implementation, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.

--
Robin Berjon