Re: SVG schema: Relax NG or not?

randy.nonay@net-linx.com writes:

>  Isn't XSD a W3C standard?

Hi Randy,

Isn't the more important question what quality of standard it is? And how
usable and informative people find it?

I am fairly comfortable with XSD schema or Relax NG (having explored its
predecessor TREX a long time back) but I know lots of people who really
struggle with XSD schema. If Relax NG is more useful, and helps readers to
understand the SVG spec, isn't that a good thing?

Why is it being abandoned willy nilly by various
> workgroups in favor of rng - which is not a W3C standard??

I don't think you can fairly use the term "willy nilly", since this is being
discussed in a sensible, open, rational way.

It makes sense to me that a W3C WG uses the most appropriate tool for the
job, wherever it was invented.

>   Not having used RNG, with a quick look the one problem I see with RNG is
> that you can't have mandatory attributes. Not sure if this is a problem...
>
>   Otherwise the XSD is already widely supported by SVG utilities, while RNG
> isn't...

Which utilities did you have in mind?

Andrew Watt