Re: High-Quality Dynamic SVG Viewer

www-qa removed.
"Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
> Jim Ley wrote:
> >>- [...] The answer is to create a temporary well-formed
> >>  version of the partial download (close all open tags, etc) and
> >>  then render. [...]
>
> > This is a sensible approach, and I fully support it.
>

> How should the app do "close all open tags, etc" for the following?
> (Real question :)

I think, thinking in the XML space obscures the issue, we're rendering SVG
elements, as soon as we have enough information on something to render, we
can do that, since we alway layer content on top, consider:

<svg>
 <g>
  <g>
   <g>
   <rect x="10" y="10" width="10" height="10"/>

Without the closing tags of the svg, or g, we have enough information to
draw the rectangle, however because we don't know at this stage if the
document is well-formed, we cannot render anything according to the current
spec.  (this wouldn't be a problem of course if we built on SGML, rather
than XML, then we could've had closing tags as optional...)

How I take Dean's suggestion (which isn't in spec speak yet) is that the
parser is allowed to work on the assumption that every open element is
actually closed some time later in the stream, this will allow it to render
the rectangle in the above example - note the rectangle is well formed, so
it's not rendering anything that isn't well-formed because of this
assumption, it's simply allowing it to render elements which are parts of
fragments.  I don't think what I agreed it to is any different to your
DocumentFragment wording.

Jim.