Re: [www-svg] <none>

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 19:09, Robin Berjon wrote:

> > Don't forget My Favorite: SSH. I'd really like to see ssh sockets support.
>
> Yes. If you were interestingly crazy you could do it in EcmaScript. It wouldn't
> be terribly hard (you're just porting stuff for which there is existing code
> that probably looks a lot like the ecmascript you want), but it'd be terribly
> slow. I don't think mandating SSH support in the spec is a good idea, though.
>
> However since you can script with other languages, you could turn there. The
> arbitrary connections thing is just a way of making available to EcmaScript
> stuff that is normally within the realm of other extension languages.

Exactly. The client-side handling is implementable in any script as long
as you have the door opened by the ability to open a socket handle.

This is what the Grid Computing demo at SVG Open 2003 was doing by
implementing a Batik-based mod which allowed a bidirectional messaging
layer.

It would be nice to have the same access without needing to rely on
hacking the browser. I don't really feel like coding My Own Mozilla
Branch for clients. hard to do in Perl, anyways. ;-)

--
Ronan Oger <ronan@roasp.com>
ROASP - the serverside SVG portal