Re: SVG 1.2 WD - Usefulness of XML Schema

In a message dated 30/04/2003 09:18:02 GMT Daylight Time, chris@w3.org
writes:

> Aac> I recall one W3C specification where the text was ambiguous (at
> Aac> least to me) but the XML Schema made the situation clear.
>
> Yes. We did that in the past with DTD snippets, which are compact and
> unambiguous. However, DTDs are not namespace friendly, have limited
> expressive power, and become really verbose and unreadable when
> modularized.

The spec I was referring to wasn't an SVG one. I was trying to apply what I
had found useful for other W3C specs to help the SVG WG in considering how to
use W3C XML Schema.

> The snippets do omit some things, such as animation children.

I appreciate that this is a moving target. If there are omissions in what a
schema snippet covers, a simple XML comment in the code stating that is fine.
It avoids a reader being puzzled over a seeming inconsistency.

One of the most frustrating things for someone studying a W3C spec is for the
WG to know that something has been missed out (and know that it will be added
later) but not to express that. I have wasted hours in the past trying to
cross-check seemingly (and actually) inconsistent pieces of information. No,
I am not particularly thinking of the SVG WG - you guys are better than
average on that.

At the moment I am not expecting completeness or accuracy (always) as the WG
explores how best to do this ... but it would be nice. In a few months my
expectations will rise. :)

> To clarify - would it be helpful to have the snippets as standalone
> files, or is it only when we have the full schema?

Personally, I would be happy to have snippets inline, as it were, until there
was a sufficiently complete and correct version of the W3C XML Schema for SVG
1.2 to justify a standalone document.

Incorrect or incomplete snippets will likely cause an external tool to choke,
in some circumstances. So I don't see much advantage in standalone snippets.
Snippets in the WD are adequate to help me learn.

Andrew Watt