Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, 7:20:09 PM, Dean wrote:

DJ> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Stefan Goessner (MecXpert) wrote:

>> .. please can someone explain to those of us here at www-svg, what exactly
>> is the problem with the X11 colors. personally i use them for over a year
>> extensively with my svg files and really don't want to have my code broken
>> some time.

DJ> Don't worry just yet. I haven't seen anyone suggest we remove
DJ> X11 colors from SVG, only deprecate them.

Which means implementors still take the lookup table hit and still
have to implement them but we ask people not to use them, but still
allow them to. Hmm, tempting.

DJ> Besides, SVG 1.0 is a Recommendation, so we can't do much to it
DJ> anway. I'm sure that all SVG viewers will support X11 colors
DJ> forever regardless of what the specification says, simply because
DJ> there is already a huge amount of content out there that uses
DJ> them. My guess at the likelyhood of your code breaking (due to X11
DJ> colors anyway ;) is zero.

>> sure .. i can start reading all of the thread at www-style .. but a short
>> summery of the discussion so far when involving us here would help a lot.

Some people don't like the existing names and want to design a whole
new set. There have been no good proposals for how to do that. Its a
non-terminating thread, once you factor in fear of color theory at one
end and a desire to make color names, uniquely, not be in any human
language at the other end (hey! maybe HTML should add <tête> and
<corps> tags, for the French market? )