Re: The 'image/svg+xml' Media Type

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:51:11PM +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2002, 10:22:04 PM, Dave wrote:
>
> DH> I'd be interested to know whether the W3C has any intention of
> DH> submitting an Internet-Draft for this media type in the near future;
>
> Yes, and we are discussing the issues around that.

Thank you, this is good to hear.

> DH> if not would anyone be unhappy about it happening independently of
> DH> the W3C? ;o)
>
> Yes, very unhappy. Especially if you added a mandatory charset that
> has not been needed for image/* types, thus making the entirety of SVG
> usage either non-conformant or broken, at a stroke.

Yes, I too would be unhappy if the SVG media type had 'charset' as a
required parameter.  (I merely sought views on whether it could be an
optional parameter.)

Please appreciate why I raised the subject -- SVG is becoming
increasingly popular, SVG 1.0 has been a W3C Recommendation for quite
some time, and there's been very little information on whether anyone is
registering a media type for it.

Thanks again,

Dave