Re: SVG --> HTML/TXT for searching and accessibility

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

> > I'm pleased to announce an online service to extract the
> > text and metadata from SVG files and output the results
> > as either text or HTML.
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2002/05/svg2stuff.html
> >
> > I was truely amazed at how easy this was - it seriously
> > took about an hour (and that was mostly playing with the CSS
> > stylesheet).
>
> Issues: (I'd done this previously for WAI).
>
> Visual reading order verses text reading order.
> Top left to bottom right?
>   Do a sort on desc elements using x, y coords.

With arbitrary transformations and symbols, this wouldn't be
an easy thing to do. Also, not everyone reads in the same direction.

> What about a two column class of layout?
>
> What about diagrams produced using graphical tools, where elements
> are added (almost) randomly? The reading order makes little sense then.

Exactly.

> Unless the document ordering is addressed by the author, the text
> produced is often more confusing than helpful.

I disagree, although I didn't mean to suggest this was the
perfect system. It extracts the text from a graphic in a
very simple way. I *am* impressed at the results I get,
even though I would never assume that they could replace
the graphic, or be a completely accessible solution.

I also think some text is better than none.

Remember also that I'm suggesting it would be very easy for
a search engine to index the text in SVG files. In that case,
reading order isn't always as important.

If you really want to make your SVG accessible, you should
check out the W3C Note on the topic (reminder to self, add this
link to the page).
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access

Dean