RE: separating svg data from presentation

>From: "Max Dunn" <maxdunn@siliconpublishing.com>
>Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:07:07 -0700
>
>Hi Mjumbe,
>
>That's an interesting perspective.  Where did you hear it stated that SVG
>was "concerned with describing the geometry of an image, not the color,
>etc."?...

absolutely nowhere.  i would automatically assume that any XML namespace is
used to describe data because that's what XML does; each namespace just has
a different type of data to represent.  the W3C says that "SVG is a language
for describing two-dimensional graphics in XML."  clear enough.  "SVG allows
for three types of graphic objects: vector graphic shapes (e.g., paths
consisting of straight lines and curves), images and text."  okay, stop.
now right there we have our data: vector shapes, images and text.  what can
we do with it?  "Graphical objects can be grouped, styled, transformed and
composited into previously rendered objects."  alright, we're set.  now i
would say that anything that is not grouping, transforming, compositing, or
describing vector shapes, images or text would go in the category of style.

>I would imagine the strongest argument for placing a functionality in CSS
>as
>opposed to SVG would be if it is a functionality that would be used by
>other
>namespaces that use CSS (i.e. XHTML)...

that was the idea that i was going for, actually.  there are times when i'd
like to use a gradient background for my html documents without reverting to
an background-image.  there maybe someone who wants to put a bevel on his or
her mathml content.  <shrug/>

>Interesting thought though, do you have a rigorous definition of what would
>move to CSS?  Seems to me it would be hard to draw the line.

it would certainly be difficult, but perhaps worth the effort so here i go.
i would say that gradients and patterns (aka background images) should be
the first to go to CSS.  other features that i think <em>might</em> be
better placed in CSS are filter effects and possibly masking/clipping
(though i'm not too sure about that one).  none of these (except arguably
masking/clipping) falls under the categories of the "three types of graphic
objects: vector graphic shapes..., images [or] text."

>I wonder what Chris Lilley will have to say about the criteria for placing
>functionality in SVG as opposed to CSS.

as would i.

>Max
>www.siliconpublishing.org/