Re: question on spec

Wendell,

There will be some clarifications in the Proposed Recommendation of the SVG
specification in this area. Some clarifications have already been done (by
not yet made public), but based on your comments below, I think additional
minor cleanup would help reduce confusion.

There are really two situations for "px" units:

1) On the outermost 'svg' element, you can define the instrinsic
width/height of the graphic in "px" units. In this use case, a "px" is
generally an system-dependent unit of measure. On many systems, a "px" will
map to one device pixel, and different devices have different resolutions,
so "px" might cause different sizes rendering on different systems. Also,
on very high-res monitors or on printers, a "px" might be an abstract
measurement typically in the range of 1/72 to 1/120 inch, again possibly
causes different rendering sizes on different systems.

This case is the reason for the words: "...use of px units ... can cause
inconsistent visual results on different viewing environments since the
size of '1px' may map to a different number of user units on different
systems..." But now that you bring this up, I think some additional
rewording may be warranted.

2) Otherwise, "A px unit and a user unit are defined to be equivalent in SVG."

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
jferraio@adobe.com