Re: Fwd: Re: SVG 1.0 and SMIL Animation are now Proposed Recomendation

Bjoern,
The SVG specification is put together just like all other W3C specifications.

At 03:29 AM 7/24/01 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>* Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
> >Bjoern,
> >Are you sure about this? I went to http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG and found the
> >Proposed Recommendation. I clicked on the hyperlink for "zip archive of
> >HTML" and up came a dialog asking me where to save the ZIP file. I saved
> >the ZIP file locally and then extracted the contents onto my local system.
> >The HTML files all have the following line:
> >
> >     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
> >href="http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-PR" >
>
>They _should not_ include this line. If I download the document, it's
>likely that I want to read it offline and references to style sheets on
>the WWW make this rather hard.
>
>See item 13 in http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html4-updates/errata this is the
>same issue.

This item admits there is a problem but doesn't say when the problem will
be addressed. In fact, the W3C has yet to change their publication rules to
address item 13:

Correction: This was a conscious decision, but may be revised in a future
release to allow for easier offline viewing. In theory, caching should
address this issue, but in practice that won't work in today's browsing
environments.

Notice they only promise "may be revised in a future release".

I looked at the most recently approved W3C Recommendation, XML Base, and
see that it continues to use absolute URLs pointing to the style sheets.

I agree with your sentiment. In order to work with the SVG spec locally
when I'm offline, I sometimes have to run a script to change all of the
absolute URLs to locally stored copies of the referenced files. I agree the
W3C needs to reconsider their approach, but personally I don't have the
energy to fight this particular battle.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG 1.0 Editor
jferraio@adobe.com