From: Jim Rosenberg [mailto:jr@amanue.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 10:55 AM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Turning Off Antialiasing

I want fonts rendered with no antialiasing.  I still know very little about
SVG, but I gather that the way this is supposed to be done is by
incorporating shape-rendering:crispEdges into a style element.  I'm not
getting this to work.  Here is some SVG that I have tried:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20001102//EN"
	"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-SVG-20001102/DTD/svg-20001102.dtd">
<svg width="500" height="500">
	<text x="186" y="173" style="font-family:Arial;font-size:14;stroke-
width:1;stroke-opacity:0;stroke:rgb(0,0,0);

fill-opacity:1;fill:rgb(0,0,0);opacity:1;shape-rendering:crispEdges">well,
this is a scratch default</text>
</svg>

<!-- Generated by Jasc WebDraw PR4(tm) on 07/07/01 15:40:36 -->

When I view this using the Adobe SVG plugin, the font is antialiased, which
is clearly visible when I do a screen capture and blow the bitmap up.  Jasc
WebDraw also renders it antialiased in its Canvas pane.

Am I doing something wrong?

*Or* [hideous thought!] are viewer implementers just blithely ignoring
shape-rendering:crispEdges?  I hope not.  The folks who made the SVG
standard obviously went to a huge amount of work.  It would be a shame if
viewer implementers just didn't pay attention to what the standard says ...

---
Jim Rosenberg                            http://www.well.com/user/jer/
     CIS: 71515,124
     WELL: jer