Re: List insertion problems

Blaine,
Thanks for the post.

At 01:28 PM 10/27/00 -0700, Blaine Brodie wrote:
>When inserting, replacing or appending an item into a list a user can use
>the same item multiple times.  Here are a couple examples of the problem.
>Assume I have a pathElement named 'path1' and 'path2' and a path segment
>named 'pathSeg':
>  1)     path1.getPathSegList().appendItem(pathSeg);
>         path1.getPathSegList().appendItem(pathSeg);
>Two items in the list refer to the same object.

DOM doesn't allow this. If you look at the definition of appendChild() in
the Node interface in the Core DOM, you see that if newChild is already in
the "tree", it is removed from the tree first.

>2)      path1.getPathSegList().appendItem(pathSeg)
>         path2.getPathSegList().appendItem(pathSeg)
>In this case, the same object is attached to two lists.

Same thing.

The SVG spec needs to add a sentence to the XXXList interface methods such
as appendItem() to clarify that if newItem is already in a list, it needs
to be removed from its previous list first.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated