Re: 15.5 Filter effects region

 James,
The x/y/width/height on the 'filter' element in effect represent a clipping
region for the filter effects in the relevant coordinate system. For
example, if filterUnits='userSpaceOnUse', then x/y/width/height represent a
clipping region in the current user coordinate system for the graphics
element that is invoking the filter.

If provided, filterRes indicates exactly how many pixels in X and Y are
used for the intermediate offscreen bitmaps. It thus defines a particular
resolution at which the filters are performed. This ability was deemed
necessary to give authors the ability to ensure consistent results across
different media for the filter effects, which might have different visual
results depending on resolution. If not provided, then the user agent picks
a suitable resolution appropriate to the device.

Does this help?

I'll see what I can do about making the spec less ambiguous in this area.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated