Re: <image xlink:href="foo.svg"/>

At 07:50 PM 11/1/99 +0200, Markku Savela wrote:
>Uhh.. this just prompts me to ask about..
>
>> > <image x="50" y="50" width="100" height="100" xlink:href="foo.svg"/>
>

>Why is there a need for "xlink:" in above? plain "href" should be
>enough, "xlink:" seems totally unnecessary!
>
>...or, is this something brought to us by XML?

It's one of the ugliest bits brought to us by the latest version of the
XLink working draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink), not XML 1.0 itself.  The
previous version of XLink provided tools that let you use attribute names
like href and src, making it a lot nicer to integrate with existing usage.
The new version requires that you use namespaces (hence xlink:) and their
particular vocabulary (hence href instead of src).

It looks clunkier and it's harder to integrate, but I'm told it's
"progress".  Oh well.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
Building XML Applications