Re: SVG text questions

At 11:22 PM 6/9/99 +0100, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> * Does an SVG implementation ever do line-breaking of text?
>
>No.
>
>Well.
>
>Maybe, if there is an explicit line break in the source document (?).
>(I'm thinking of three things here:
> 1. <html:br>
> 2. { content: "\A"; }
> 3. { white-space: pre; }
>I don't think any of them apply though. Maybe it's time I got around to
>rereading the last draft...)

My recommendation is that:

* SVG honor the xml:space attribute. If xml:space="default", then throw out
extraneous whitespace automatically, just like HTML If
xml:space="preserve", then draw spaces and ignore tabs, CR and LF. (there
may be some complexities here, but that would be the general model)

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems Incorporated