Re: SVG text questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Raph Levien wrote:

> * The spec says that SVG inherits all text properties from CSS2. Does
>   this include justification (the 'text-align' property)?

(assuming you don't mean 'inherit' in the strict sense of the word)

Basically, the answer IMHO should be no. I discuss this in detail in the
following post:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/1999Apr/0030.html

> * Does an SVG implementation ever do line-breaking of text?

No.

Well.

Maybe, if there is an explicit line break in the source document (?).
(I'm thinking of three things here:
 1. <html:br>
 2. { content: "\A"; }
 3. { white-space: pre; }
I don't think any of them apply though. Maybe it's time I got around to
rereading the last draft...)

This is deferred to CSS2's @font-face mechanism.

> * If the precise font is specified by download, and the renderer
>   implements CSS2 "intelligent matching", is the precise font to be
>   ignored in favor of the matched font?

I believe that the matched font will _be_ the precise font. See the
@font-face mechanism in CSS2.

> * Assuming that font matching takes place and that the font used in
>   rendering is subtly different than the font used in authoring, what
>   is the expected behavior? The left side aligns correctly, but the
>   right side may be incorrect (i.e. more or less the PostScript way)?

Or vice versa for rtl text, yep, presumably. Having said that, using
@font-face I believe you can get around that (synthesising the font -
again... see CSS2...).

--
Ian Hickson
: Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?