Re: SVG comment - inline images?

Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> It seems to me that both Web servers and browsers would need to be enhanced
> to allow for addressing a component of a ZIP/JAR individually. For example,
> http://MyWebSite/MyZip.zip@MyHtml.html (where the @ indicates that we are
> looking inside of a zip).

Why wouldn't you just use the slash character? The server knows that
MyZip.zip is a zipfile. In fact, you could implement this feature today
without violating any W3C specification or requiring any new
specifications.

On the other hand, if you wanted the address to be handled on the client
side then you would use the hash symbol: "#".

Anyhow, this has been brought up many times in the XML world. People
usually argue against it because zipfiles cannot be streamed. IIRC, it is
not possible to interpret any of the file until you have read all of the
file.

A tarfile is thus a better choice. The W3C should probably make a REC for
the tar file format.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

If you spend any time administering Windows NT, you're far too familiar
with the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) which displays the cause of the
crash and gives some information about the state of the system when
it crashed.  -- "Microsoft Developer Network Magazine"