Re: SVG comment - inline images?

Andrew,

At 02:59 PM 2/16/99 -0800, Andrew Wooldridge wrote:

>Dave Landers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I may have missed something, but it looks like the <image> element
>> is set up to XLink to external images.  That is good, but I feel
>> there should also be some facility for inline (non-external) images.
>>
>> If images are always separate, then the graphics containing both
>> images and vector elements will rely on multiple documents, data
>> streams, files, etc.
>>

>This is a good thing - you might swap out one image reference and allow
>for a new graphic to be embedded.
>You are not really looking for "embedded" images, you just want one data
>stream with all the data "local".
>
>If you looked at this like HTML you would be asking for HTML 4.0 to have
>a facility to include binary code within a document embedded. Which
>would bloat the file size among other things.  Why not simply wrap your
>SVG and related images into say a ZIP file or a JAR file?  Then perhaps
>include a built in gz reader that might unwrap your zip on the fly to
>"read" it.

Adobe is in favor of an approach like this because we think it will
increase the manageability of Web sites and facilitate interchange. It has
value to both SVG (with its associated images and Web fonts) and HTML (with
its associated images, Web fonts and SVG).

It seems to me that both Web servers and browsers would need to be enhanced
to allow for addressing a component of a ZIP/JAR individually. For example,
http://MyWebSite/MyZip.zip@MyHtml.html (where the @ indicates that we are
looking inside of a zip).

>Or, alternatively, you could create your own "super SVG"
>spec in XML that allows you to embed both SVG and your binary code at
>once.  Perhaps something called SVG-binary.

Also a good idea.

>That's the cool nature of
>XML is that you can interleave languages now...

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Member SVG working group