From: Xiaocheng Hu <xiaochengh@chromium.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 3:49 PM
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Is the new @font-face descriptor 'size-adjust' good to ship now?

Hi,

Chromium is planning to ship the newly resolved 'size-adjust' [1] with M91 (branching on April 8) as a major tool to tackle layout shifts caused by web fonts.

It looks to me that we already have a very clear idea how this feature should behave. The remaining issues do not seem to block shipping:

- Name bikeshedding [2]. We can ship it as 'size-adjust' for now, and if needed, we can change its name before May 25 when M91 reaches Stable Release

- Interaction with font-size-adjust [3], which we seem to have consensus on but still awaits a resolution

- Other detailed editorial issues [4][3][4], which do not affect the behavior

Can I get an official position of whether this new feature is mature enough to ship, so that I can start a Blink Intent-to-Ship process? Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6075

[2] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6114

[3] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6128

[4] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6112