W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > March 2021

Re: Is the new @font-face descriptor 'size-adjust' good to ship now?

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 00:17:27 +0000
To: Xiaocheng Hu <xiaochengh@chromium.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Message-ID: <E95A0E5A-2DA5-4105-B755-1862255B617A@adobe.com>
Xiaocheng,

Personally, I think it’s too soon for the working group to resolve that this is ready to ship. The bikeshedding and feature interaction work should be farther along, and since it has only been a week since we resolved on [1] I fully expect we will find other interesting feature interactions to deal with as more people look through the proposal.

I don’t mean to block you from shipping this feature – I am just personally uncomfortable saying we have done enough specification work to mitigate the risk of baking in whatever mistakes are in the current feature description. I understand this makes it more difficult for you to justify shipping now, but I think that’s by design.

If you want to pursue an official resolution, please open an issue in the repo so that people can comment there.

Thanks,

Alan

From: Xiaocheng Hu <xiaochengh@chromium.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 3:49 PM
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Is the new @font-face descriptor 'size-adjust' good to ship now?
Resent-From: <www-style@w3.org>
Resent-Date: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM

Hi,

Chromium is planning to ship the newly resolved 'size-adjust' [1] with M91 (branching on April 8) as a major tool to tackle layout shifts caused by web fonts.

It looks to me that we already have a very clear idea how this feature should behave. The remaining issues do not seem to block shipping:

- Name bikeshedding [2]. We can ship it as 'size-adjust' for now, and if needed, we can change its name before May 25 when M91 reaches Stable Release

- Interaction with font-size-adjust [3], which we seem to have consensus on but still awaits a resolution

- Other detailed editorial issues [4][3][4], which do not affect the behavior

Can I get an official position of whether this new feature is mature enough to ship, so that I can start a Blink Intent-to-Ship process? Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6075

[2] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6114

[3] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6128

[4] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6112

[5] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6110

[6] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6111


Regards,
Xiaocheng
Received on Thursday, 25 March 2021 00:22:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 25 March 2021 00:22:48 UTC