Re: overflow: scroll and padding, conceptual problems.

On 10/15/19 4:31 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Consider this sample:
>
> https://terrainformatica.com/w3/scroll-browser.htm
> [...]
>
> Problems (or rather inconsistencies) with it:
>
>  1. You see left padding – the content is clearly offset by padding-left
>     value. But you cannot see padding-right offset at all. Why? Where did it go?
>  2. If to follow the specification then scrollable box (clip area where the
>     content scrolls) shall be set to content edge of the element. But for now
>     in UAs scrollable area is inner border edge minus scrollbars. I am not
>     sure if that is defined anywhere. Any ideas?
> [...]
> Problem there is:
>
>  1. box-sizing: border-box; is ignored completely. Why border box is so large
>     there?
>
> The solution of all these problems:
>
> Paddings, when defined on scrollable element, shall be parts of scrollable
> content.
>
> In other words scrollable content shall include those paddings and
>
> width/height properties on scrollable element shall define dimensions of inner
> edge of border box.
>
> Here is an illustration: https://terrainformatica.com/w3/scrollable-model.png
> of how it ideally it should look like.

I think your concerns are related to
   https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/129

We are somewhat limited in what we can do about this due to Web-compat
constraints, but there is some work happening in css-oveflow-3.

See https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/129#issuecomment-417525242
and https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/129#issuecomment-484361107

~fantasai