RE: [CSSWG][selectors-4] Updated WD of Selectors L4

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <andrew.fedoniouk@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 11:14:55 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
>> :blank is quite bad as a state name
>>
>> For example <input type="text" value="">  shall be considered as not :blank as it has initial value
>> deliberately set to blank string (empty string allowed).

>No, actually, that would also match :blank.
>:blank is not intended as :user-modified or anything like that, it's a check
>on the current state of the value.

It has quite limited practical use then. Yet not clear what it means in case of <select>, <input|radio> and others.

I would expect  <input type="text" value="">  to match input:empty  selector if I just want to check if it is *empty*.
Why do we need that separate :blank selector that can be used only with particular <input type=text> element?

Anyway what would be the selector for unsuccessful (for form submission)  elements?
How we will be able to highlight form elements that are not set / not ready for submission?
Distinct styling of “no-value yet” state  is used on almost any form on the web these days.

Andrew Fedoniouk

Terra Informatica Software, Inc.

Richmond, BC, Canada

phone:+1(604)244-1074
On 11/21/18 5:33 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> :blank is quite bad as a state name
>
> For example <input type="text" value="">  shall be considered as not :blank as it has initial value
> deliberately set to blank string (empty string allowed).

No, actually, that would also match :blank.
:blank is not intended as :user-modified or anything like that, it's a check
on the current state of the value.

~fantasai