Re: [CSS22] 10.8 "tall enough"

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 1:33 AM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> If you find it difficult to read then I guess things could indeed be
> improved.

I didn't say I found it difficult to read. I said that the text is
vague. I'm sufficiently expert on this
content matter to know what all the language means, and I know
vagueness when I see it.

> The paragraph is about inline boxes
> (inline-block/inline-table/inline-flex/inline-grid) that are top or bottom
> aligned,

that isn't clear from the text, since there are other vertical
alignments as well

>and there is therefore no possible concept of ascender or descender

actually, I think this may not be correct; ascenders and descenders of
individual glyphs
are not necessarily contained within their inline boxes; furthermore,
the "top" of an inline
box does not necessarily mean the "top" of the bounding box associated
with a specific
glyph or the characteristic ascender property of the font

> relative to the natural size of the line. That sounds to me exactly like the
> definition of tall as found in an English dictionary. That being said, it is
> true that, in CSS specs, we sometime overload normal English words to new
> meanings so one should probably always be more suspicious than usual.

just take my input into account when improving this text and publishing 2.2;
I can create an issue in github if it will help