Re: [css-multicol-1][css-sizing-3] definition of column-width (editorial)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>> Hi Yves
>>
>> On 06-Jun-18 05:24, Yves Lafon wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be good to either add an denote in [css-multicol-1] to point to
>>> those new values (even stating that their stability is not granted yet), or
>>> at least to have a central place where all possible definitions for a
>>> property (or function, or anything else) can be found.
>>
>> I thought that already existed and was automatically updated
>>
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/indexes/
>>
>> although the date there is from 2017, it does seem to be constantly
>> updated (for example, a look for font-variant-alternates, which was recently
>> moved to Fonts 4, does indeed point to Fonts 4 not 3).
>

> Great, but it doesn't seem to be complete, as a starter, multicol-1 is
> missing.
> Also it show other "conflicts", like for 'column-gap' defined in multicol-1
> [1], not showing in your index page, also defined in align-3 [2]

The index generation currently has issues with "diff specs",
unfortunately.  It relies on the linking logic to find out where it
should point to (because it doesn't want to point to *every possible
place* something is defined in, if some of those places are
superceded).  The linking model has some logic for how to handle
definitions appearing/disappearing between TR/ED and across levels. In
particular, if something was defined in level N of a spec, and is not
in level N+1, Bikeshed assumes it was removed for a good reason, and
silently removes the level N anchor from the possible results.

Diff specs that omit large sections of the previous level, thus, cause
some problems here. That's the source of all the "missing definitions"
problems that people have pointed out in the indexes, as far as i can
tell.

Ultimately this is a problem on my side; I need to figure out a way to
communicate that a spec is a diff and should interact differently with
the level-based logic.