Re: [css-backgrounds] Re: CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3 and border-style

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:28:07 -0500
Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> There is no inherent incompatibility when 'border-style' is 'none'
> while 'border-width' uses a keyword like 'medium' or a positive
> integer value. Both properties set distinct, separate features. Just
> like a 'border-style' can be set to 'solid' while 'border-width' can
> be set to '0'.

None of the css properties is semantically 'separate' or 'distinct'
because all are just serving partial logics (for the better or worse)
to the one and only 'representation'.

> > Found below border-width:
> >
> > "Note that the initial width is medium, but the initial style is
> > none and therefore the used width is 0."
>
> Dennis,
>
> If you look at CSS1, CSS2.0, CSS2.1, CSS2.2,

There is the point. It was weird all the time!

> > Why style = none and not, like in other cases, style = solid?
>
> Which other cases?

The initial value of text-decoration-style is 'solid':
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-decor-3/#text-decoration-style-property

Because text-decoration-line is 'none', that's a very sane default!

Same works with 'border-width: none; border-style: solid'!

I find it strange to 'activate' or 'deactivate' a border via 'style'!

> If you look at initial value of properties in this page
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS22/propidx.html

This is old! I don't talk about the past! I pledge for a future ;)

> The initial value of 'border-width' could have been set to '0' too
> instead of 'medium' while the initial value of 'border-style' could
> have been set to 'solid'. The initial value of 'border-color' could
> have been set to 'transparent' too.

.... or 'currentcolor', which is more helpful when only setting the width
to something visible...

> Gérard

Dennis Heuer
einz@verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de