Re: CSS-4 and min|max-device-width

From: Alice Wonder <alice@domblogger.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:08:48 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On 01/08/2018 05:11 PM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

>> On Jan 9, 2018, at 8:39, Alice Wonder <alice@domblogger.net
>> <mailto:alice@domblogger.net>> wrote:
>>
>> it should be clear that browsers *may* respond with viewport width
>> instead of device-width.
>
> That is already the case:
>
> 1) from Media Queries level 4:
>
>> The device-width
>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#descdef-media-device-width>
>> media feature [...] is the width of the Web-exposed screen area
>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom-view-1/#web-exposed-screen-area>

It also says device-width shouldn't be used for new code, which is what
I have a problem with and I will not be able to use CSS4 if it is
deprecating device-width.

device-width solves problems for me that are not solved by other
methods, namely the ability to keep the layout the same for the device
regardless of how many CSS pixels are currently available.

That's a design decision but it is the design decision I use for a reason.

deprecated means it may not be available at all in future version of CSS
and should be avoided. Deprecated means on the track for removal.

I'm saying it should remain optional, as it is now, but remain available
and valid - not be deprecated.