Re: CSS-4 and min|max-device-width

From: Alice Wonder <alice@domblogger.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 04:16:03 -0800
To: Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net>, www-style@w3.org

On 01/07/2018 03:19 AM, Henrik Andersson wrote:
> So to summarize, you actually want a media query that determinates the
> viewport width while ignoring zooming. Or in other words, you want the
> layout to remain locked down independently of the device zoom level.

I use fluid layout within the CSS for a particular breakpoint, but I
don't change the layout itself within a breakpoint.

> Also, you mention that you assume the presence of certain buttons on a
> device based on your guessed device type. I believe that a direct query
> for the actual buttons would be the "right" thing to do here, not make
> an assumption based on a guess. This sounds like a legitimate feature to
> query for.

Querying for the presence of hardware buttons is something that I
wouldn't want to see supported as it would be yet another feature
browser fingerprinting could use to uniquely identify users.

> I believe that neither of these needs are really meet by your current
> hacky solution.

It's not a hacky solution. It works quite well. Calling it hacky doesn't
reduce the utility of layout and features based on device-width.

What problem does removing device-width media queries solve?