Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:28 PM, OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I like the new behavior.  So, it is not a bad idea after all.
>
> But I don't.
>
> My point is that the default behavior has changed.  You should not do
> this if a previous default has existed for years.  I would hope that
> logical programmers would realize this.
>
> With the new default, I have to do additional work adding CSS styles
> to all of my web pages to make sure they display the normal way.  Why
> do I have to do more work for a change that is opinion based and
> should never have affected the way underlined text displays by
> default?

Since I like the new behavior, why you as an author of those web pages
wants to force your preferred behavior on me as the reader of not only
your web pages but also other web pages?

> It's not a good idea to invent conventions and then use them as the
> default unless there is a very very good reason.

Does CSS originally say that an underline cuts through descenders?

--
Best regards,
Tadeus