Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 8:04 PM, OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If every browser had chosen to not cut through descenders, would you had any problem with the current CSS strengthening the default to not cut through descenders?
>
> Thankfully, we didn't go that route in the beginning.  I prefer the
> line cutting through the descenders after seeing both styles.

I (and definitely some other people) prefer the line not to cut through.

> Since
> I've seen it that way all of my life, I think that's the way it should
> be done.  That's my whole point.  A default has been established,

To be exact, you have been cultured in a certain way that now you
regard as a default.

> and
> we should keep using that as the default.

We?  No, not we definitely.  So, as Myles said, the new behavior is
not forced on you.  You can use the user-defined stylesheet facility
in your web browser to stay in your culture.

> Open any word processing app like Microsoft Word.  Underlined text
> works the way I describe.  It's only recently that someone had the
> idea to change it, and why?

To make the world better for those who prefer the new behavior.

> What was wrong with the old way?
> Nothing.

For those who prefer the old behavior.  It was wrong for those who
prefer the old behavior.

But, see that GĂ©rard has raised an objection on the new behavior with
merit in the other e-mail.

--
Best regards,
Tadeus