Re: Better handling of unknown selectors in a css rule

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 15:49:12 +0900
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
To: saeed serpooshan <saeedserpooshan@gmail.com>

> On Dec 16, 2018, at 20:43, saeed serpooshan <saeedserpooshan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> According to https://drafts.csswg.org/css-syntax/#css-stylesheets ,
> invalid CSS selectors causes the whole rule to be dropped!
>
>> ... If any style rule is invalid, or any at-rule is not recognized or is invalid according to its grammar or context, it’s a parse error. Discard that rule.
>
> But there are many many situations we need to include some new selector in our
> rule set, and it is reasonable that browser ignore only those
> selectors that doesn't support it.

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. Unfortunately, this is a known problem that we cannot fix. The reason why is documented in here:

https://wiki.csswg.org/faq#error-handling-in-selectors-aka-breaking-pages-by-making-them-work <https://wiki.csswg.org/faq#error-handling-in-selectors-aka-breaking-pages-by-making-them-work>

Best regards,
—Florian