Re: [css-backgrounds] Please remove the "unless there is a border image" wording

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 00:25:00 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
On 9/21/17 12:09 AM, fantasai wrote:
> Updated the spec to say
>
>    # These properties set the style in which a box’s borders are drawn
>    # (unless there is a <a href="#border-images">border image</a> drawn
> in their place).
>
> Let me know if this seems acceptable.

I don't know that this solves the problem of it then sounding like
"none" doesn't apply if there is a border-image.

The fact is that "none" doesn't set the style.  It controls whether
there is a border at all.  So the right non-normative summary is:

   These properties control whether a border appears, and if it does
   what style it's drawn in.  A border-image will override the style,
   but not whether a border appears in the first place.

At least I assume this text is meant to be non-normative.  It's not
actually marked that way, but if it's meant to be normative I'm not sure
what it's supposed to really be saying in a normative sense.

> In any case it looks like Webkit and Blink have accepted to fix their
> bugs. :)
> Although WebKit's patch seems to have stalled last November...

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

-Boris

P.S.  Not on the list, so please cc me on replies.