Re: [css-backgrounds] border-position

On 10/13/2017 03:54 AM, Benjamin De Cock wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com <mailto:brad.kemper@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yeah, the border box is always going to be outside the padding box, and ‘box-sizing’ will combine with things like ‘width’
>     (or ‘max-width’, ‘flex-basis’, etc.) to determine the dimensions of the border box, which then leads to how much space is
>     used for layout.
>
>     However, it would be possible to have something like ‘border-image-offset’ to shift the ink of the line without changing
>     layout. I could see ‘border-offset’ being similar to that, but shifting the border ink (as determined by border-style and
>     border-width) instead of an image. Because it could cause overlapping with existing content, you’d have to be careful with
>     margin and padding, and it probably wouldn’t be your default way of designing layouts. But I could see that being very
>     useful if we ever get a feature for doing multiple, overlapping borders.
>
> Yeah I really like that, and I agree it'd be extremely useful/powerful! Elika: any thoughts on this?

I'd want to see examples that show why this is a significantly
better approach than what we currently have, for some substantial
number of use cases. :)

The current approach has the benefit that you don't get overlapping
content (unless you ask for it explicitly with negative margins).
If we add this feature, we lose that safety.

Also, adding features always has a cost, so we have to balance the
benefits of spending that effort here vs elsewhere.

~fantasai