Writing Modes PR & Testsuite

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <me@gsnedders.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:48:24 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Yesterday, we resolved to publish either a CR or, preferably if the
Process allows it, a PR of Writing Modes Level 3.

However, I'm unconvinced we have a testsuite sufficient to leave CR
(and proceed to PR) with; we seem to have hundreds of reftests which
fail due to anti-aliasing differences.

According to the test harness, Firefox passes 89.02% of the testsuite
(which it makes out to be 1120 tests); running locally all automated
tests, I get 1045 tests (910 parents, 135 subtests; as far as I'm
aware the harness has no notion of harnesses), of which 457 pass and
588 fail: this implies that 89.02% of the entire testsuite cannot
pass.

Looking into many of the failures, it quickly became apparent that
hundreds of these failures is down to anti-aliasing differences in
reftests; I've filed a bug for this at
<https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/issues/1174>.

As such, I at least don't view the testsuite as ready to publish a PR
and would raise a formal objection if we resolved to do so.

/Geoffrey.