W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > January 2017

[css-ui-3] New CR for CSS-UI 3 to try to move toward PR

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 22:41:12 +0900
Message-Id: <16B41782-359B-4DB2-AD27-14BBC43B74CC@rivoal.net>
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Both gecko[1] and Blink[2] have implemented caret-color (and will ship it some times soon). I'd like to take this as an opportunity to try to get CSS-UI-3 out of CR and onto its way towards REC.


1. Remove "at risk" marking from caret-color, since we now have 2 implementations

2. Defer every other "at risk" feature to level 4, since we do not have 2 implementations and there does not seem to be any recent progress:

   2.1 The <string> value of the text-overflow property

   2.2 The 2-value syntax of the text-overflow property

   2.3 Constraints on negative values of the outline-offset property being expressed with MUST rather than with SHOULD

3. Defer https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-3/#nav-dir to level 4 (or mark at risk, but probably defer).

   We have 2 implementations (Presto, Samsung's webkit) but they are not fully interoperable,
   and at least one of them is historical (Presto) and will not make any progress.
   Since this is defined as part of HbbTV, lots of consumer electronics browsers support it,
   but it is not clear how much interop they have, and if these are independent implementations
   or the same implementation shared by everyone.
   I am also not aware of any mainstream browsers picking it up. There were signs of interest
   on the Blink side fairly recently[3], but they've not gone forward.

   Since there is interest at least from the TV browsers, I am not giving up on the feature
   but I'd prefer not holding up the rest of the spec on this.

4. Do a DoC

5. Republish a new CR

6. Finish the test suite

I'm sure I'll find a couple of things during step 4 and 6, but I think we're pretty close to being done.

If that sounds alright, I'd like to do steps 1 through 4, and come back to the group when that's done to ask for an updated CR.


[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1063162
[2] https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=665422
[3] https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/g09B730nI80/tWiUWVWFAQAJ
Received on Monday, 9 January 2017 13:41:43 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:09:06 UTC