Re: [css-pseudo] first-letter and quotations

On 11/28/2017 11:58 PM, Johannes Odland wrote:
> Hi
>
> According to Selectors Level 3 the ::first-letter includes punctuation that precedes the first character. The example
> specifically shows a dropped cap with an opening quotation mark.
>
> Although there are no hard and fast rules for initial caps, it is a common typographical practice to style the punctuation
> different than the letter itself. The punctuation can hang in the margin, and be styled in the same font and font-size as the
> body text so that the initial letter is flush with other initial letters that does not have punctuation.
>
> In Norwegian typography it is considered bad practice not to leave the letter itself flush with the other letters.
>
> http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/book-design-part-6/
> http://www.typografi.org/dropcaps/initialer.html
> http://www.typografi.org/dropcaps/assets/lite-sitattegn_714.jpg
>
> As the spec is now it is hard to achieve good drop caps.
>
> Should there be a way to select the initial-punctuation also?

This is a good point. I filed your comment under
   https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2040
I'm not sure about the best way to resolve it, I guess we'd need a ::first-letter-letter pseudo. :P

For hanging punctuation, the 'hanging-punctuation' property would work though:
   https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-3/#hanging-punctuation-property

   p { hanging-punctuation: first; } /* Hang initial quotation mark */
   h1 + p::first-letter { initial-letter: 3; } /* Drop cap */

~fantasai