Re: [css3-selectors]: Proposal: Adop the ::wrap pseudo element

From: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 23:53:29 +0300
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ian Yang <ian.html@gmail.com>
Cc: CSS public list <www-style@w3.org>
06.10.2016, 23:25, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:45 AM, Ian Yang <ian.html@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  This pseudo element can do a lot more than just wrapping <dt> and <dd>
>>  pairs. For years, we have been adding extra <div>s or <span>s into our HTML
>>  codes just because we have to achieve a certain layout or positioning. With
>>  ::wrap pseudo element, we can say good bye to that inflexible approach and
>>  styling or redesigning web pages would become impressively flexible and
>>  time-saving.
>
> To be clear, we only add features to the spec that have use cases and
> interest in being implemented in at least two major browser engines.

There is also an opposite thing: some browser vendors are not willing to implement features _until_ they are standardized. So we have a sort of closed circle here.

I would also like to repeat a part of my previous comment [1]:

> CSS wrappers would be much more flexible than hard-coded HTML wrappers in terms of ability to wrap _different_ elements e.g. depending on media queries.

So virtual containers are far more than just a way to group DT/DD elements, instead they would be a _powerful layout mechanism_ absolutely unachievable with current HTML and CSS.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Sep/0117.html