Re: [motion-1] !important: motion-* rename

From: Jihye Hong <jh.hong@lge.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 02:13:31 +0900
To: "'Sebastian Zartner'" <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Shane Stephens'" <shans@google.com>, "'Amelia Bellamy-Royds'" <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>, "'Tab Atkins Jr.'" <jackalmage@gmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
On 5 October 2016 at 11:11, Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2016 at 03:31, Shane Stephens <shans@google.com> wrote:
>> Coming back to offset: Amelia says "nor can the net effect be defined as a
>> single offset from a base position". But .. it can. The net effect is
>> exactly an offset of offset-distance along the offset-path (which is a path
>> in the normal CSS+SVG sense of the word path), modified by the
>> offset-rotation (which is just a rotation). How the offset and rotation
>> applies to the element is controlled by offset-anchor, and the path itself
>> is tied back to the global geometry via offset-position.
>
> As the net effect of the properties is not a motion but an offset,
> maybe the module itself should get renamed to something like 'Offset
> Path Module' or just 'Offset Module'?

We also talked about this when it was decided to rename motion-* properties, but no decision has yet been made.

>> This name actually makes the most sense of anything we've come up with. It
>> doesn't step on existing terms (except for 'offset' from Web Animations,
>> which admittedly is a shame) and it's really descriptive of what the feature
>> does - without modifying layout or the geometry of an element, it offsets
>> the position of that element in some well-defined way.
>
> In regard of this, I had another idea. The prefix could be
> 'offset-path' instead of just 'offset'. Then the properties would be
> named like this:
>
> offset-path-shape
> offset-path-distance
> offset-path-position
> offset-path-anchor
> offset-path-rotation
> offset-path
>
> This resolves the conflicts with Web Animations and Logical Properties
> and keeps the meaning of the properties, only their names get a bit
> longer.

The idea seems reasonable, but there are some properties used without the path - such as offset-anchor, offset-rotation.
Those are applied to the element itself, not to the path.
So additional "-path-" prefix for offset-anchor and offset-rotation can cause confusion about their features.

Thanks,
Jihye