RE: [mediaqueries] MathML

Sounds like MQs are currently really only about display properties. It is a shame because obviously the idea of telling the server about the client so it can return the right content is a much more generally applicable concept. Is there no effort to make MQs more general or, perhaps, some other kind of query in the web standard world that would allow the UA to pass non-display properties to the server?

Semantic markup items (dates, events, street addresses, phone numbers, etc.) are probably handled by the server by returning all data associated with the item, independent of the client, and let the UA simply do whatever it wants. There is no standard mechanism whereby the client tells the server what is needed and the server customizes the reply accordingly. Too bad.

If this is all reasonable (a big if), then it means that the server should always return MathML for equations, along with any other data it has on them, without regard to client properties (display or otherwise), and let the UA decide what to do with the data. The UA will consider client properties, of course.

Paul