RE: [mediaqueries] MathML

I think we may be drifting away from the original intention of the MathML MQ request. So here's a recap.

--It came about because publishers, who often have MathML, do not put it in their EPUBs because they can't trust that it renders properly. They just put in images, which are inherently not accessible and typically not properly scaleable (they can be SVG but usually aren't).

--MathML is _extremely_ widely used in STM publishing. It is considered the lingua franca for math. Perfect? No. But millions and millions of math equations currently exist, reasonably happily, as MathML within standard STM production and dissemination workflows.

--This means that it _does_ work for much of what it is used for; just not well in browsers and most EPUBs.

--One thing it works reasonably well for is accessibility. I remember being told by a member of the accessibility community a couple of years ago that, in the case of a student needing a physics textbook in accessible form, the difference between the math being in MathML or just images can be a difference of $50,000 worth of work and six months of delay to get her that book in a form she can use. THIS MATTERS!!!!!

--We are looking for a way to make it safe for publishers to put their MathML in an EPUB so that it can be used for accessibility, even if it is not used for rendering visually.

--We are NOT looking to see if every possible aspect of MathML is correct. We just need to know whether or not it is there, and to provide the reading system with information about whether or not to prioritize using the MathML or using the companion image.

--MQ was suggested as a simple mechanism to enable that.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's it. That's what we're looking for.

Bill Kasdorf
VP and Principal Consultant | Apex CoVantage
p:
734-904-6252  m:   734-904-6252
ISNI: http://isni.org/isni/0000000116490786
ORCiD: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7002-4786