Re: [css-grid] [css-align] Grid is now CR, but what about css-align?

Mats: Your summary of "including baselines" is more generic than what
I was referring to. I was specifically talking about align-content:
baseline, not align-self/align-items: baseline.

You're right that "General alignment for blocks" was too specific and
I should have included multicol/tables but it doesn't change my main
point.

Tab: see below.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Christian Biesinger
> <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I see that Grid is now a CR. Yay!
> >
> > However, Grid has normative dependencies on Align, which is only a WD. How
> > does that work? Shouldn't Align also be a CR, at least for those parts used
> > by Grid?
>
> No. W3C Process allows drafts to normatively reference things "one
> level down" - CRs can ref WD, while Recs can only ref CRs.  So there's
> nothing Process-wise that needs to happen here.

OK, so that's fine process-wise, but what about the practical impacts?
What assurances are there that these properties/definitions won't
change and that websites won't be broken?

> > We (Blink) only want to implement the Grid part and probably the Flex part,
> > for now. The working group has previously supported this approach. However,
> > I am not sure whether "align-content: baseline" should be considered more
> > part of the "applies to blocks" or "necessary for grid"? I am thinking it
> > would be the latter (and thus not implement it for now), thoughts?
>
> You mean "former"? If it does something in Grid, it should be
> considered as part of Grid support.  (One could, of course, simply not
> support that value at all right now, for any layout type.)

Sorry, yes, I meant former. I should have elaborated on the reasoning:
align-content applies to boxes in their role as containers. The only
container on which we want to implement the properties, for now, is
grid. If we wanted to implement align-content: baseline on grid
*items* that requires changing layout code in other containers,
significantly increasing the complexity of this implementation. What's
more, it would be the *only* align-content value that does anything on
a grid item.

> (One could, of course, simply not
> support that value at all right now, for any layout type.)

Well yes, that was the proposal -- it is only specified to do anything
for table cells, flex items and grid items. We're not implementing
css-align for table cells. The flex item discussion is essentially the
same as the grid one.

Christian