Scrollable TABLEs...

I originally posted this on the W3 group's list; an admin suggested this
style list is the more appropriate venue:

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject:  Re: HTML6 Suggestions...
Date:  Thu, 17 Nov 2016 22:55:11 +0100
From:  chaals@yandex-team.ru
To:  Steve <steve.b@osfda.org>, Travis Leithead
<travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, public-html@w3.org <public-html@w3.org>

..
But I wonder if this is really a browser implementation issue. HTML has
tbody and thead/tfoot in the expectation that browsers will implement
the scrollability - probably doing something like setting an explicit
height on the tbody with CSS - some time at the end of the 1990s.
I don't think there is any need to change HTML itself, and I suspect
that CSS also has the relevant properties - it intuitively seems that
something like
tbody { height:2em;overflow:hidden }
should do the trick, but in the couple of browsers I tested - Yandex,
based on blink like Chrome Vivaldi and Opera, and Firefox - it doesn't.
cheers
Chaals