Re: dynamic states and pseudo elements for inline styles

Hi Kevin and Florian,

I want to push you a bit on this. The community is pushing new ideas and
arguing for new best practices and I think they warrant attention.

The idea that inline styles is a bad practice originates largely from a
document-oriented way of thinking which has been adapted over time. However
when working with an entirely component-based application, inline styles
starts to make a lot of sense.

Inside these components people arent writing:

They are writing:

<Text variant="danger">...</Text>

Everything that was once a class is now a component which exposes a minimal
API which can be validated and is highly reusable.

When you're only ever using a style on a single (reusable) element,
stylesheets stop seeming necessary. And manually selecting elements out of
a tree doesn't present a lot of compelling benefits, but many negatives.

When this first came up is was fairly non-controversial in a community that
has already been questioning accepted best practices. Since then, inline
styles within component-based apps has spread wildly and is quickly
becoming accepted as a new best practice.

The only debate now is about the exact implementation of dynamic states,
pseudo elements, and media queries. There have been a lot of different
attempted solutions to this. Which is why I am now asking standards to
produce this feature for the community to take advantage of.

Providing tools that community wants to make them more successful seems
like a worthwhile goal from any standards body.

Thanks