Re: [css-inline] result of initial-letter when sink substantially exceeds size

From: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:54:08 -0400
To: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAICS, the current spec does not explicitly address the situation where the
> 'sink' value of an initial letter is much greater than its 'size':
>
>   p::first-letter { initial-letter: 1.8 4; }
>
> Is the following text of the paragraph expected to run _above_ the initial
> letter, or should the initial letter's exclusion area be assumed to extend
> upwards to the start of the paragraph?
>
> JK

I think we should probably extend the exclusion area up. Having the
text run above the initial letter further degrades the relationship
between the initial letter and the subsequent text—the eye has to do
lots of back and forth to read the word, assuming someone would
understand the intent in the first place.

Dave