Re: [css-fonts] local() definition missing

On 16/03/25 19:40, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
> It reads to me that font-face-name does not include the “local()”. It seems that we should modify the syntax to be [ <url> [format(<string> #)]? | local(<font-face-name>) ] #

local() is included, but in the spec text as an option on
font-face-name, rather than in the syntax definition. It is a bit of an
odd way to do it.

   When authors would prefer to use a locally available copy of a given
font and download it if it's not, local() can be used. The
locally-installed <font-face-name> argument to local() is a
format-specific string that uniquely identifies a single font face
within a larger family. The syntax for a <font-face-name> is a unique
font face name enclosed by "local(" and ")". The name can optionally be
enclosed in quotes. If unquoted, the unquoted font family name
processing conventions apply; the name must be a sequence of identifiers
separated by whitespace which is converted to a string by joining the
identifiers together separated by a single space.

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-fonts-3/#font-face-name-value

I agree that having it explicitly in the syntax definition would be clearer.

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus