[css-ui] Allowing pseudo-elements on form controls when appearance:none

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:23:42 -0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Safari and Chrome both allow pseudo-elements on their form inputs.
Other browsers don't.  We looked into removing this, but the
use-counter is recording ~.07% of pages using it, which is 20x our max
removal threshold.

Actually specifying pseudo-elements on inputs would require specifying
the internal structure of inputs at least somewhat, which we haven't
managed to do yet (and I'm not confident we *can* do).  But Boris
suggested, in one of the bugthreads, allowing it on appearance:none
inputs - basically just turning them into <div>s, rather than
"kinda-replaced" elements.

We *think* this is feasible.  We haven't run a use-counter on it yet,
but it *looks* like most uses of pseudos on inputs use appearance:none
as well, to shut down the normal styling.  Assuming the numbers are
good, we think we'd be willing to turn off pseudo-elements when
appearance *isn't* none.

What do other implementors think?  Would y'all be willing to implement
pseudo-elements on the input elements when they're appearance:none?

~TJ